So who better to provide a classic muscle building beginner workout that numerous people, including Arnold, used to build the basics of a brawny physique?
Reg's Beginner Routine
For many exercises you will do a 5x5 scenario for sets and reps. The first set will be done 5 reps of 60% your working weight (the heaviest you can handle for 5 reps), the second is at 80%, and the final 3 sets are for 5 reps of your working weight. The exception is deadlifts which includes only 1 set at your working weight.
- Squats - 5 sets for 5 reps
- Chin Ups - 5 sets for 5 reps
- Bench Press - 5 sets for 5 reps
- Wrist Curls - 2 sets for 10 reps
- Standing Calf Raises - 2 sets for 15 to 20 reps
- Front Squats - 5 sets for 5 reps
- Barbell Rows - 5 sets for 5 reps
- Standing Barbell Press - 5 sets for 5 reps
- Deadlifts - 3 sets for 5 reps
- Reverse Wrist Curls - 2 sets for 10 reps
- Seated Calf Raises - 2 sets for 15 to 20 reps
All Reg's bodybuilding exercises emphasize perfect form, slow negatives, and powerful positive motions over using overly heavy weight and momentum. Figuring out your 'working' weight will take a session or two as you should warm-up and see how much you can lift. Then it is a good idea to keep a journal so you know when to add weight to an exercise. Typically if you can increase the rep range to 8 on your work weight then it is time to add another 5 or 10 pounds.
Dane Carpenter is a writer for Nutribomb.com. Please follow him via our Google Plus page.
If You Enjoyed This Post Please Take 5 Seconds To Share It.